Application for Rule 21 Judgment Letter Template
- A letter template to apply to the Employment Tribunal for a Rule 21 judgment.
- Option to include a Peace of Mind check and a guided walkthrough with a Valla coach to ensure your document is professional and taken seriously.
- Downloadable letter in .doc and .pdf formats.
Excellent resource for litigants in person
What our customers say:
How an Application for Rule 21 Judgment can get your case resolved
If your employer hasn’t responded to an Employment Tribunal or they’re not contesting your claim, you can apply for a Rule 21 Judgment. Rule 21 in the Employment Tribunal Rules means that a Tribunal can either issue a decision on your documents, or fix a hearing.
Examples of when you can apply for a Rule 21 Judgment in your Employment Tribunal
Although the Tribunal should make a Rule 21 judgment on their own, it may be helpful to send this letter in case the Tribunal doesn’t issue one straight away. Here are some examples where you can apply for a Rule 21 to the Employment Tribunal:
Nikolai has made a claim in the Employment Tribunal but his ex-employer has not yet submitted a Response, even though their 28-day time limit for doing this has passed.
Nikolai phones the Tribunal and they confirm that they have not yet received anything.
He makes an application for a Rule 21 Judgment to ask the Tribunal to determine the issues in the case without a hearing.
How you can apply to the Employment Tribunal for a Rule 21 Judgment
If you haven’t received a response to your claim, you can apply for a Rule 21 Judgment. You should:
- check with the Tribunal before you start - it’s possible that a Response has been received and just not been processed by the Tribunal yet
- create the template in Valla
- send the application letter or email to the Tribunal
- copy in the Respondent
- wait for the Tribunal to confirm whether or not a hearing will be listed or whether they are able to make a decision on the basis of the documents they have received
- chase the Tribunal by phone if you don’t hear from them.