Application for Costs Order Letter Template
Use our Costs Order Letter template to seek reimbursement from your employer for your legal costs, preparation time or wasted expenses at your Tribunal.
- A letter template to apply to the Employment Tribunal for costs.
- Option to include a Peace of Mind check from a Valla coach to ensure your document is professional and taken seriously.
- Downloadable letter in .doc and .pdf formats.
The foundation for a successful Tribunal claim
Helping you translate what happened into legal claims
Ensuring your claim is taken seriously
Reviewed by a legal coach
Your document reviewed by legal expert giving you peace of mind that your Tribunal claim has the best chance of success.
How to get your employer to pay for your Tribunal costs
Employment Tribunal Costs Orders aren’t awarded by default by the Employment Tribunal, so you’ll need to apply separately for this if you’re interested with an Application for Costs Order. They’re typically the exception rather than the rule, but the Employment Tribunal Rules list out the categories of costs you can apply for, including legal costs, preparation time or wasted costs.
How can you apply for an Employment Tribunal Costs Order?
To make a successful application for a Costs Order, you’ll need to:
- send a costs warning letter to the Respondent
- make your costs application to the Tribunal if the Respondent doesn’t drop their response as you have requested (you should normally make your costs application after the Final Hearing)
- create the template in Valla
- send the application letter or email to the Tribunal
- copy in the Respondent
- wait for the Tribunal to confirm whether or not the costs application will be considered at a hearing or if they are able to decide it in writing
- chase the Tribunal by phone if you don’t hear from them.
Legal services at Valla
While Valla isn’t a law firm, we offer many “un-reserved” legal services to help you run your Tribunal case. These legal services are delivered by hand-picked professionals with Tribunal experience and a variety of legal qualifications.
Some of our legal professionals are qualified solicitors and barristers, some are registered with CILEX, others have a law degree. All have extensive experience with the Tribunal and clients. Because we aren’t a regulated legal provider by the SRA, we hold our own professional indemnity insurance. You can read more on our terms of service.
What our customers say about us
Why use Valla?
A law firm can cost anywhere from an initial consultation fee of £200 to £35,000+ plus VAT for Tribunal representation.
Valla offers users low-cost alternatives to pricey law firms. We can help guide you through the process and generate legal documents for your use.
Lawyers can be expensive. But access to justice doesn’t have to be.